Joey Scouts is the first Section of Scouts, for boys and girls aged 6 - 8.
It focuses on fun and friendship, and is a gentle introduction to a world of challenges and adventures through Scouting.
Joey Scouts are encouraged to express themselves creatively, through games, stories and craft activities. From building monsters and spaceships from scrap items, to growing plants from seedlings and singing songs together, all Joeys develop a strong sense of belonging and an understanding of the world around them.
Joey Scouts usually meet once a week, in a local Scout Hall or community hall. The Joey Scout Leaders, who undertake special training, may be a parent of one of the Joeys and will have an assistant leader to help them. Each Joey Scout Leader guides a Joey Mob of up to 20 boys and girls as they learn to share and care for each other in a social environment. The safety of all Joey Scouts is very important, which is why there are always leaders on hand during all activities.
The programs in Joey Scouts emphasise co-operation and participatory learning. Every activity is designed to ensure that the Joey Scout goes home happy and fulfilled from their time as part of the Mob.
“I'm so happy Mum and Dad let me be a Joey Scout. I've made lots of friends already and it's always so much fun!”
Joey Scout Promise and Law
Each member of Scouts Australia will have the option of making either of the following two Promise versions, both of which have the support of the World Organisation of the Scout Movement.
On my honour, I promise or
To do my best,
To be true to my spiritual beliefs,
To contribute to my community and our world,
To help other people,
And to live by the Scout Law
On my honour
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to my God, and
To the Queen of Australia
To help other people, and
And to live by the Scout Law
We also now have one Law to be used across all five Sections of the Scouts Australia membership:
Be friendly and considerate
Care for others and the environment
Do What is Right
Be trustworthy, honest and fair
Use resources wisely
Believe in Myself
Learn from my experiences
Face challenges with courage
Joey Scouts focus on the three key headings of the Scout Law. Though the sub points may provide useful discussion points, the emphasis is on the headings for this section.
What Joeys Do
Joey Scouts participate in a range of activities including:
● Games, activities, crafts, stories, songs, play acting, prayers and outdoor activities.
● Games and activities that also require sharing, helping and pulling together.
● Competitions against oneself and others using small ad-hoc groups with the accent on fun.
● Play in an atmosphere created by trained Leaders, in the style of Scouting and based on the values of the Scout Law and Scout Promise.
● Displays, objects, visitors, outings and explanations to broaden the children’s experiences and understandings of the world around them.
● Weekly meetings, Joey Fun Days, themed sleepovers, and Mob family camps to prepare Joey Scouts for the wider program of Scouting.
Joey Scouts, as part of Scouts Australia, is a multicultural, multi-faith organisation, which focuses on the development of the whole child as a member of our society.
More than anything, Joey Scouts is about having fun!