Scouts ACT is offering Scouts NSW members the opportunity to take part in a Four Wheel Drive (4WD) residential course at Camp Cottermouth over the weekend of 8-9 December 2018. The course is designed for people with existing skills in operating a 4WD, and will be led by Mr Peter Macdonald, a highly experienced Scouts Victoria 4WD instructor. It gives participants the opportunity to undergo training in operating 4WD vehicles in difficult terrain and to acquire their Scout Level 2 (and Level 1 if not held) 4WD qualification.
When: 8.30am, Saturday 8 December – 3.00pm Sunday 9 December. Because of the material to be covered, some evening work on the Saturday will be required.
What is covered: Accommodation in shared cabins and all meals
- You must bring your own registered low range and high clearance 4WD vehicle with the recovery gear normally taken on 4WD trips (snatch straps, tow straps, recovery points, safety gear, winch [preferred not essential], etc).
- You must be licensed to drive the vehicle (no Learners on this course).
- You must be a member of Scouts ACT or Scouts NSW; Rovers and Leaders by preference with Adult Helpers if space is available.
- You must have some experience using a 4WD vehicle. This isn’t a beginners course. If you’re not sure, ask.
- Saturday 8 December: Theory and practical sessions at Camp Cottermouth.
- Sunday 9 December: Theory capped by a practical driving session into the Brindabellas.
Participants will be assessed for qualification at Levels 1 and 2, with completed workbooks to finish the process. Participants may also be assessed against a number of VET units (if desired and enrolled): SISODRV201A, SISODRV302A, SISODRV404A, SISODRV405A, TLIB2003A and TLIH3002A. Assessment against the Guide unit, SISODRV303A, and the Instruct unit (for selected people) SISODRV506A may also take place.
More information: For more information and a copy of the registration form, please email Julian Yates, Branch Commissioner Adventurous Activities at Scouts ACT at firstname.lastname@example.org.