Scouting is one of the longest-running youth organisations in the world.
Our youth members are the next generation of leaders in Australia. Our volunteers represent the best of local communities across NSW, giving their time to help our young people flourish. For over 100 years, we've delivered skills for life through adventurous outdoor activities.
But 2020 was a challenge. The impact of the drought, bush fires and the global pandemic has left many organisations across Australia in a difficult financial position. It’s no different for Scouts NSW, and we are facing some tough decisions to ensure our longevity.
In 2021 we are taking decisive actions to set up our organisation for a sustainable future.
1. Reducing costs from the Scouts NSW State budget by 15 per cent
2. Increasing the State Membership Fee to $240 and the joining fee to $50 for the 2021/22 Scouts NSW Financial Year
3. Moving membership billing to an annual cycle and commencing direct invoicing of youth and adult members
4. Selling under-utilised properties that are expensive to maintain
5. Region and State Commissioners to pay 50% of the State Membership Fee
6. Lifting patronage of the State Activity Centres by external customers
By taking the above actions, we aim to be financially viable so we can fulfil our mission, to deliver efficiencies that meet member and community expectations, to satisfy our legislative requirements, and to stay responsive to the external environment by managing any emerging risks and capitalising on new opportunities.
To find out more about our actions click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sustainable Scouting aims to achieve three objectives:
Our Chair of the Board of Directors and Treasurer wrote to all adults in Scouting in January about Sustainable Scouting. A copy of these letters can be viewed by clicking the buttons below.
Teams Live Event
Submit Your Ideas
If you have any great ideas or constructive suggestions for Sustainable Scouting, please touch base by completing the form below.
Alternatively, you can email email@example.com.