The following criteria are suggested as a guide to the standard of community involvement that warrants the awarding of the Scout of the Year Award and will be used by the Selection Project Patrol to make their decision.
- The applicant must be a current youth member of Scouts NSW;
- The applicant must have shown great initiative in their achievement, to a point over and above the developmental level that would be expected in their age section;
- The applicant’s achievement must have had a significant positive impact on Scouting and/or the wider community;
- The achievement must be initiated in the Scout Movement, but can be continued outside of Scouting;
- The applicant must have upheld elements of the Scout Promise and Law during their achievement;
- The applicant must have gone above and beyond their own personal abilities and have shown great personal growth and development throughout the achievement; and
- The applicant can only receive the Award once per Section (a maximum of 5 total).