In the Young Leader Development Program, we put you in control of your training. Participants decide their pathway, the level of training they would like to complete, and the type of Section Leader they would like to become.
Step 1: Pick Your Pathway
The Young Leader Development Program is designed to accommodate different learning styles, offering participants the choice of completing the program individually or as part of a team.
Individual Pathway – Go Solo
Go Solo allows participants to complete the theory component of the course individually through online eLearning modules. After completing the eLearning modules, participants are required to attend a number of residential weekend events alongside other members in the program.
The individual pathway will suit you if you:
- Are a student or someone with a busy schedule who has less time to commit to team training courses
- Prefer to complete the online E-Learning modules by yourself at home, at your own pace
- Have access to the internet or a computer or tablet to complete the online E-Learning modules
- Work better independently
- Are a self-motivated and organised individual
Team Pathway - Join the Class of 2020
Class of 2020 gives participants the opportunity to complete the theory component of the course in face-to-face group workshops, rather than online eLearning modules. After completing the group training workshops, participants will be required to attend a number of residential weekend events alongside other members in the program.
The team pathway will suit you if you:
- Are enrolling in the program with a friend or peer
- Prefer to learn the online E-Learning content face-to-face, in a group setting
- Enjoy participating in group discussion
- Work better in small groups when others motivate you
- Enjoy socialising and meeting new people
Step 2: Select Your Section
The Young Leaders Development Program gives you the option to choose which Section you would like to become a Leader in. The Section you choose will determine the type of training you will be required to complete and the amount of residential weekend events you will be required to attend. Please note - the Adventure Journey to become an Adventurous Activity Leader is only available to participants who select Scout Leader or Venturer Leader training.
Step 3: Decide on your Journey
After selecting the type of Section Leader you would like to become, you will need to decide on your journey:
- Base Journey: Certificate of Adult Leadership
- Great Outdoors Journey: Certificate III in Outdoor Recreation
- Adventure Journey: Leadership Qualification in an Adventurous Activity
All participants will be required to complete the basic 12-month Base Journey training. This level includes online eLearning modules, residential weekends and in-service training. If you successfully complete the Base Journey, you will receive a Certificate of Adult Leadership in your chosen Section.
Great Outdoors Journey
Participants who would like to attain a nationally recognised Certificate III in Outdoor Recreation will complete their Base Journey training and Mountain Journey training simultaneously, during the 12-month period.
After completing the 12-month program Base Journey for the Scout or Venturer Section training, participants can choose to undertake their Adventure Journey to attain a leadership qualification in a specific Adventurous Activity. You can undertake Adventurous Activity Leader training in a range of areas, including bush walking, water activities, alpine activities, rock and more. Please note - it is recommended that you only undertake this level of training if you have a serious interest or experience in one or more of the activities.